UPDATED:Guideway Work Begins Between Sentinel Rd. and Norfinch Dr. (Mid-March – June 2021)
As part of the Finch West Light Rail Transit (LRT) Project, work continues across the project corridor. As of mid-March 2021, alternating lane restrictions or partial road closures will be in place between Norfinch Drive/Oakdale Road and Sentinel Road for approximately four months as crews build sections of the LRT guideway (a test track) to allow for light rail vehicles to be tested later this year. Finch Avenue West will remain open in both directions, but Jane Street, Driftwood Avenue, York Gate Boulevard, and Tobermory Drive will experience lane restrictions or closures during track installation in those areas.
Work includes installation of pole foundations, trackwork and overhead cabling. Additional work is required on York Gate Blvd to install duct banks and manholes. The test track also will be installed at Norfinch Drive/Oakdale Road and at Sentinel Road, once permits are approved.
Portable message signs will be posted along Finch Ave. in advance to keep drivers and pedestrians informed of changes to expect.
- Guideway work will start on the project corridor on March 15, 2021 and primarily occur between 7 am to 11 pm; some work will be accomplished overnight.
- Work that causes higher noise or vibration levels will be prioritized before 11 pm and monitored, if needed.
- Work could be rescheduled due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Crews will start the guideway work on the west side of Jane St. at Finch Avenue West one lane will be open in each direction to traffic on Jane Street work will start in mid-March 2021 and continue until early- April 2021. (See map above).
- Next, work will begin on the east side of the intersection until the end of April 2021.
- Then, crews will move to York Gate Blvd. and Driftwood Avenue:
- York Gate Blvd. will be closed at Finch Avenue West in April and May 2021. Access to the Yorkgate Mall will be maintained at Jane Street, Finch Avenue West and north on York Gate Blvd.
- Driftwood Avenue will be closed at Finch Avenue West in April and May 2021.
- After, crews will install the guideway at Tobermory Drive and close it at Finch Avenue West in May 2021.
- Dates are approximated and may change.
- Please visit us at www.metrolinx.com/finchwestlrt for up-to-date information.
- Please take extra care when navigating near work sites, and always make eye contact with the driver before crossing in front of any equipment or vehicle.
- Construction noise and vibration will be noticeable at times.
- Dust from construction.
- Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience.
- One lane in each direction on Jane Street.
- Alternating north-south crosswalk closure during this work. One north-south crosswalk will remain open at all times.
- York Gate Blvd., Driftwood Avenue, and Tobermory Drive will be restricted or closed at Finch Avenue West during the work.
- Access to adjacent businesses and residences will be maintained, unless otherwise communicated.
- Heavy trucks and equipment will be active in these areas.
- TTC bus stops will be closed or relocated away from work zones, as needed, to ensure construction can continue safely while minimizing impact on the community and customers.
- Relocation of bus stops is done in consultation with TTC.
- Access to TTC will be maintained at all times.
- Please visit www.ttc.ca for more information.