Road Widening, Watermain and Storm Sewer Installation Finch Ave. W. from Tobermory Dr. to Tangiers Rd.
What: As part of preparatory works to expand Finch Ave. W. to accommodate the Finch West LRT line, crews will continue with road widening and utility relocation work along the Finch West LRT corridor. Crews will also install new underground storm sewer and watermain pipes on the south side of Finch Ave. W. between east of Tobermory Dr. and Tangiers Rd. Work will begin in late March and take approximately five (5) months. Road widening activities also will continue both sides of Finch Ave. W.
To safely conduct the works and minimize traffic congestion, works are taking place in three stages.
Stage 1 taking place between Romfield Ln. and Tangiers Rd. is nearing completion. Since January 2020, crews have been installing temporary signals and sidewalks, widening both sides of Finch Ave. W and relocating electrical, gas, and telecommunication utilities.
Stage 2a is currently taking place on the south side of Finch Ave. W., from east of Sentinel Rd. to Romfield Ln. Works will occur from March to May 2020.
Stage 2b will take place on the south side of Finch Ave. W., from east of Tobermory to Romfield Ln. Works will occur from March to August 2020.
Stages 2a and 2b Works
- Closure of the existing eastbound curb lane to create work zone.
- Installation of storm sewer and watermain pipes on the south side of Finch Ave. W.
- First, the crew will dig trenches and install the pipes.
- Then, the City of Toronto will conduct pressure testing, cleaning and inspection of the new pipes prior to final connections and then leaving behind existing pipes.
- Last, the crew will backfill, regrade and pave the new widened roadway