Installing piles for the new Finch West Station: Finch Ave. W. from Romfield Ln. to Keele St.
What: Starting in April 2020, as part of the Finch West Light Rail (LRT) project, several crews will start support of excavation works for the future Finch West Station by installing piles into the ground before excavation of the station can start.
Pile drilling is a common method used for the support of excavations. Using a pile rig, a crew will drill holes into the ground and fill them with concrete and steel piles to create “columns” that will support the excavation during construction. This will also eliminate the risk of soil movement that might otherwise affect surrounding utilities or structures.
Drilling will be conducted in phases within the Finch Ave W. and Keele St. area. It will produce noise and vibration in the immediate area. Metrolinx’s contractor will monitor noise and vibration levels throughout the work to make sure they are always within permitted ranges.
Pile drilling in the roadway of the intersection is anticipated to start in April 2020, weather permitting.
When and Where: Starting in April 2020 and lasting for two (2) months, approximately, a crew will be using drilling equipment on the north side of Finch Ave. W. from Romfield Ln. to Keele St.
Work Hours: Drilling will take place between 7:00 am to 11:00 pm, including Saturdays as required to meet schedule.
What to Expect:
- Heavy trucks and equipment in the area.
- Noise and vibration from construction activity and equipment.
- Dust from drilling activity, which will be managed with water trucks during working hours.
- Flaggers on site when necessary to ease traffic access and ensure public safety.
- Please obey all posted construction signs and do not enter the work zone.
- Please take extra care when walking near work sites, and always make eye contact with the driver before crossing in front of any equipment or vehicle.
- Operational factors and weather may affect the schedule.
Pedestrian, Traffic and Bus Stops Details:
- Access to schools, churches, and businesses will be maintained.
- Access for Emergency Vehicles will be maintained.
- The sidewalk on the north side of Finch Ave. W. from Romfield Ln. to Tangiers Rd. will be closed.
- The sidewalk on the south side of Finch Ave. W. from Romfield Ln. to Tangiers Rd. will remain open.
- Bus stop (# 2611), for routes 36B/336 Finch West, located at the north east side at Keele St. and Finch Ave W. will be closed.
- Bus stop (#2626) located at the north east side at Romfield Ln. and Finch Ave W. will be relocated to the west side of the driveway.
- Access to TTC will be maintained at all times.
- Please visit www.ttc.ca for more information.
Contact: For more information about the pile driving on the Finch West LRT project, please contact the Metrolinx Finch West LRT Community Relations Team at 416-202-6500 or emailTorontoWest@metrolinx.com you can also visit the community office at 2450 Finch Avenue West.