Community Update: Ongoing work Sentinel Road to Driftwood Avenue (September 2021 – late 2021)
As part of the construction of the future Finch West Light Rail (LRT) line, work continues across Finch Avenue West, from Sentinel Road to Driftwood Avenue. Crews continue to relocate utilities and widen the road. Sections of the guideway have been installed and others are underway. These activities and other guideway work will continue throughout 2021.
Work will primarily occur between 7 am to 11 pm, however, some work will need to be accomplished overnight. Work that causes higher noise or vibration levels will be prioritized before 11 pm and monitored, if needed.
For updates, visit www.metrolinx.com and follow us on Twitter @FinchWestLRT
ONGOING AND UPCOMING ACTIVITIES
Sentinel Road to Driftwood Avenue:
- Storm and sanitary sewer installation work across Finch Avenue West continue
- Activities to widen Finch Avenue West continue
- Telecommunications relocation continues
- Guideway work is ongoing at Tobermory Drive and Finch Avenue West until mid-September 2021, approximately.
- Construction of the future stops for the Finch West LRT is ongoing
- Overhead Catenary System (OCS) will be energized before the Light Rail Vehicles (LRV) can be tested.
- In fall, trains will be tested in the burn-in track section, which runs along Finch Avenue West, from the MSF to west of Sentinel Road
- Overnight work includes:
- Activities to rebuild and relocate underground electrical system,
- Storm and sanitary sewer installation,
- Road Widening,
- Telecommunication relocations, and
- Guideway work, including installation of trackwork, overhead catenary system, and overhead cabling.
- Work will primarily occur Monday to Saturday, from 7 am to 11 pm. There may be work on Sunday, if needed.
- Overnight work will occur Monday to Saturday, from 11 pm to 7 am. There may be overnight work on Sunday, if needed.
- Inclement weather or unforeseen circumstances may delay work activities.
- Lane reductions (at least one lane in each direction will remain open on Finch Avenue West)
- Slower traffic
- Localized sidewalk closures
- Due to the nature of this work, at times there will be noise and vibration around the work area.
- Overnight work
- Access to businesses, schools and churches will be maintained, unless otherwise communicated.
- Access at Tobermory Drive and Finch Avenue West is currently limited to right-in and right-out traffic movements only. This traffic configuration will be in place at this intersection until the guideway work is completed in the area.
- There will be important permanent changes to how motorists use intersections and lanes as the guideway and track are being built down the centre of Finch Avenue West. For more information about the Right-in/Right-out traffic configuration, please visit www.metrolinx.com/finchwestlrt.
- Please take extra care when navigating near work sites, and always make eye contact with the driver before crossing in front of any equipment or vehicle.
- Water shut offs or lower than usual water pressure. Affected properties will be notified separately, in advance.
- Power outages to switch from an old to new electrical system. There will be advanced notice of planned outages.
- Sidewalks and intersection closures.
- TTC bus stops will be closed or relocated, as needed, in consultation with the TTC.
- Transit access will be maintained at all times. Updates available at www.ttc.ca