Community Update of Works Weston Road to Islington Avenue (May 2021 – August 2021)
As part of the construction of the future Finch West Light Rail (LRT) line, work continues across Finch Avenue West, from Islington Avenue to Weston Road, future home to the Rowntree Mills and Emery Finch West LRT stops, to relocate utilities and widen the road.
Work will primarily occur between 7 am to 11 pm, however, some work will need to be accomplished overnight. Work that causes higher noise or vibration levels will be prioritized before 11 pm and monitored.
ONGOING AND UPCOMING ACTIVITIES
Weston Road to Islington Avenue:
- Preliminary work (removal of fences, trees, islands, curbs, etc.) continues along Finch Avenue West.
- Storm and sanitary sewer as well as watermain installation continues across Finch Avenue West.
- Activities to widen Finch Avenue West started in Winter 2021on the north side of Finch Avenue West. Some areas on the south side of the alignment will commence in Spring 2021.
- Relocation of hydro and telecommunication infrastructure continues.
- Humber River bridge rehabilitation is ongoing at Islington Avenue and Finch Avenue West. Work will continue throughout 2021. The rehabilitation work includes bridge jacking and bearing replacement, replacement of the deck, sidewalks and parapets, and track installation.
- The pedestrian pathway located below the bridge will be intermittently closed, as needed, as part of the Humber River bridge rehabilitation.
- Overnight work to expect throughout 2021 includes:
- Activities to rebuild and relocate underground electrical system,
- Watermain installation,
- Storm and sanitary sewer installation,
- Road widening, and
- Hydro and telecommunication relocations.
- Work will primarily occur Monday to Saturday, from 7 am to 11 pm. There may be work on Sunday, if needed.
- Overnight work will occur Monday to Saturday, from 11 pm to 7 am. There may be overnight work on Sunday, if needed.
- Inclement weather or unforeseen circumstances may delay work activities.
- Lane reductions (at least one lane in each direction remains open at all times on Finch Avenue West).
- Slower traffic.
- Local sidewalk closures.
- Due to the nature of this work, at times there will be noise and vibration around the work area.
- Overnight work, if needed.
- Access to businesses, schools and churches will be maintained, unless otherwise communicated.
- Water shut offs or lower than usual water pressure. Affected properties will be notified separately, in advance.
- Power outages to switch from an old to new electrical system. There will be advanced notice of planned outages.
- Sidewalks and intersection closures.
- TTC bus stops will be closed or relocated, as needed, in consultation with the TTC.
- Transit access will be maintained at all times.