On November 13, 2009 Emery Village unveiled its second historic mural, depicting the history of fire services in the Emery Village Community. The artists responsible for this moving piece are the talented Filip Matovina and Daniel Paterson.
On October 15, 1954 Hurricane Hazel’s rains caused the Humber River to flood in the worst disaster to hit Emery Village. The heavy rainfall during the storm caused the river to rise over six meters in one hour. Twelve cottages in Humber Summit were destroyed and many trees uprooted as the water rushed down the channel in towering waves. The courage of the Emery Village Volunteer Fire Brigade was tested that night. Risking their lives, Fire Chief Charlie Jordan and his crew worked through the night rescuing people who were trapped on the roofs of their homes. The Force of the flooding water had redirected Humber’s path to the east. North York ended up losing 40 acres of land to Etobicoke as a result of the Hurricane. The Toronto Region Conservation Authority was formed immediately afterward to protect and preserve the valley lands.
Due to the constant treat of gas fires, the Humber Summit Volunteer Fire Brigade was formed during the depression with Harry Parks Senior as the first Fire Chief. The primitive fire fighting equipment consisted merely of a bucket brigade where the fire fighters would form a line and pass bucket after bucket of water from a nearby water source. However, in 1942, the fire fighters constructed a pump and ladder truck from a donated chassis of a 1939 Chevrolet gas tanker. The volunteer Brigade had many memorable moments and provided a valuable community service.
The Humber Summit Volunteer Fire Brigade at Whitefield Avenue and Islington Avenue. Disbanded in 1964, and replaced by the new No. 3 Station on 2350 Finch Avenue just west of Weston Road.